Go out there and do what you do best :)

Remember how I was sad in my last post because I didn't get an interview at the place I worked really hard for? Well it turns out they had a different position and gave me an interview! That's the good news. 

After the past weekend of intense studying, I started to get really nervous for interviews this week. At Waterloo, when signing up for an interview slot, you can see the who the other interviewees are. I know many of my fellow peers who are also being interviewed for my position, and I started getting really nervous as self doubt began to plague me. The other interviewees are all so talented, bright and friendly, what if I'm not good enough?

I was talking to a good friend of mine today who has the same pre-interview event and really wants to go to the same company but in a different position. She genuinely loved the firm and really wants the job, and I think the job would be perfect for her. But her competition is really tough. When I questioned her on how she felt at the pressure of competition, she told me, "Grace, you can't think that way. You're at the interviews because you're amazing, and don't worry about the things you can't change. All you can do is go into that interview and show them why you're an amazing candidate."

It's true! I had let the pressure of job hunting get to me, if they don't like me for who I am and the many good things I can bring to the firm, then there's nothing I can do. All I can do is be myself and show them what a great person I am, there's nothing to regret if I do my best and I don't get chosen. 

So I'm going to really research the firms and think of what to say, and be genuine. If I fake who I am, they'll find out sooner or later. I want to be myself, and let my personality and attitude shine through.
I guess my little lesson learned is that everyone has problems and stress. We ALL get nervous in interviews, but the key is to go out there and do your thing! As Hellen Keller once said, "Your success and happiness lies in you." 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Quotes

Feeling adultish and sophisticated after my first vote :D

A Tissue Box Catapult - Revelations after reading David and Goliath